Thursday, October 09, 2014

Honouring Peter von Bagh in Pordenone: Muisteja / Remembrance

David Robinson arranged a closed dvd screening at a conference room at the fourth floor of Hotel Moderno honouring Peter von Bagh. Of Muisteja / Remembrance (2013) I blogged last year in its first preview screening in Oulu.

When a person dies, photographs of him change. They look different. You notice a hidden sadness you had never paid attention to before.

Muisteja did look and sound so different that I had the feeling that I might have seen last April a pre-release cut that had since been changed. The producer Jouko Aaltonen assured me that there has only been this single version.

I did not now notice a new sadness in Muisteja, though. It was elegic for me in the first place, but now I rather sensed Peter's sense of humour more profoundly. His view of life in his films was evolving into something more gentle while he never lost the bite of his wit.

No comments: